Forums » Crafting and Gathering

“Crafting and the Community” w/ Bazgrim

• 259 posts
    April 2, 2019 8:35 AM PDT

On this weeks “Crafting and the Community” we are spotlighting community member “Bazgrim”. A huge thank you from Old School Crafters to Bazgrim, from BazgrimTV, for taking the time to answer these few questions for us. Be sure to check out Bazgrim’s Channel here::

On BazgrimTV

Remember to check back each week as we spotlight a different community member.

1) Do you enjoy crafting or are you more of the adventuring type?

I’m definitely more of the adventuring type. Although, I enjoy crafting as a secondary activity when I want a break from adventuring or maybe if I need to craft an item to aid in my adventuring.

2) What was your first experience with crafting in an MMORPG?

I think technically the first time I dabbled with crafting in an MMORPG was EverQuest 2. Although, to be honest, I didn’t do it a lot and it was long enough ago that I don’t remember much about it other than the fact that it was fun to have to deal with the various mistakes and imperfections that would arise while you were making something. It was almost like a cool interactive mini game. The first game I took crafting seriously in was Dungeons & Dragons Online. I had a character that I wanted to make the best he absolutely could be and max out everything I could. (I had a lot of free time in college and that’s just how I wanted to spend it lol.) So naturally, part of maxing out that character was maxing out the crafting skills. In DDO, there were only 3 categories of crafting: Divine, Arcane, and Elemental. Items were made by combining various essences and shards that you got by breaking down other items, looting from chests, or sometimes as unique quest rewards. It was at times quite repetitive and it was unfortunate that most crafted items were not all that useful, but sure enough, I eventually maxed them all out!

3) Do you have a favorite type of crafting and if so why?

My favorite crafting profession is Blacksmithing. My favorite race are Dwarves and Blacksmithing is just a fundamental part of their culture. Being down in the forge, hammering away - what’s not to love about that? I’ve also tried my hand at making chainmail in real life, so there’s just something about Blacksmithing that I find very satisfying. Plus, everyone needs weapons and armor!

4) Are you excited with development of the crafting and harvesting skills?

Pantheon has one of the most interesting crafting systems I’ve ever seen. So far, it seems like something I could see myself getting more involved with than I normally would in other games. Visionary Realms always has such high standards of meaningful and immersive systems, which would include crafting, and that’s really appealing.

5) And lastly, how important of a role do you feel crafting should play in Pantheon?

I feel like those that only want to craft in Pantheon should be able to do so, even if I am not one of them. I can appreciate those that want to take on the role of a dedicated tradesman and travel the world, buying and selling goods for a profit. The whole point of virtual worlds is being able to take any path that you want, and Pantheon should aim to support that. (And so far, that seems to be the plan!) It would open up the game to different styles of gamers, and would also make the economy more interesting and healthy for everyone, by having dedicated crafters that can act as suppliers for the dedicated adventurers. But of course most people will fall somewhere in between and that’s fine too. Ideally, the crafting system should play as much of a role in your experience as you want it to.

• 28 posts
    April 3, 2019 4:01 PM PDT

Shyin said:

1) Do you enjoy crafting or are you more of the adventuring type?

2) What was your first experience with crafting in an MMORPG?

3) Do you have a favorite type of crafting and if so why?

4) Are you excited with development of the crafting and harvesting skills?

5) And lastly, how important of a role do you feel crafting should play in Pantheon?

1) Definitely adventuring.  But honestly, I know I would like crafting more if the items you make are worth keeping.  The fast pace of leveling in most games means that you outlevel what you craft.  So consumables and enhancement seemed the only things worth crafting.  I did REALLY love the racial crafting.  It was end-game items (for a little while). 

What they need to do is make items that you craft upgradable.  To get the higher level item you have to use a lower level item.  Maybe its just semantics, but I don't want to just discard stuff I spend weeks gathering components and crafting.

2) EQ

3) Caster related items.

4) Not sure yet. Guess I need to read up on it more. 

5) I think that crafting should be as important as the player wants it to be.  Some people don't like to craft, and I don't want to see it being something they are required to take up to be competitive with others.  But I think that the best crafted item should be equivalent to the best dropped items. 

Mal

• 259 posts
    April 3, 2019 4:20 PM PDT

Thank you Malleable :)