Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Built-in Voice Chat?

• 801 posts
    March 24, 2019 2:37 AM PDT

I do not want in game voice chats, i have to turn them off all the time. You can not focus on the game or the massive spam by players.

I would rather use discord, and txt chat in game then anything to do with voice chat. Voice alerts are different.

• 3 posts
    March 24, 2019 5:13 PM PDT

Slydog75 said:

What has been said about this so far? Will there be a built-in Voice Chat client or will we need to use a third party app?

why rebuild the wheel when better more established products exist? Why spend cycles developing something that exists when they can push that development bandwidth to the actual game. Make no sense

• 801 posts
    March 24, 2019 5:49 PM PDT

Discord is free and works pretty much better then most in game chat systems. At least you pretty much can pop out of that and go to Teamspeak if discord doesnt work for you. The only thing about discord is to remember to run in it administrator mode. Sometimes i forget to fix that, and it stops working. The other part i dislike is the odd voice lock stays on with push to talk, and the fact we have to adjust players voices per account. I am sure there is an adjustment somewhere.

Otherwise I do recommend Discord over in game voice.

• 370 posts
    March 25, 2019 8:46 AM PDT

Geoffreypa said:

This is an issue not just about choise. 

I have dislexa and it takes me up to 3m to type out and then corect with serching for words becuse spell check looks at some words and just goes puft :).

This makes text much harder to both read and type. Voice must be an option for Anyone who has a disability. Wether its in game or setup on discord or other app.

I agree if voise becomes main chat ext then that will diminish the game but there were good resons why thay even thought about it and may not be about watering down Panthion.

You bring up a good point here because I believe the FCC has created more rules around video games and disability. This was a reason behind Fallout 76 not having any text based chat is that it wouldn't have complied with the FCC. It would be interesting to hear how the FCC rules apply to Pantheon. 

• 1033 posts
    March 25, 2019 11:23 AM PDT

EppE said:

Geoffreypa said:

This is an issue not just about choise. 

I have dislexa and it takes me up to 3m to type out and then corect with serching for words becuse spell check looks at some words and just goes puft :).

This makes text much harder to both read and type. Voice must be an option for Anyone who has a disability. Wether its in game or setup on discord or other app.

I agree if voise becomes main chat ext then that will diminish the game but there were good resons why thay even thought about it and may not be about watering down Panthion.

You bring up a good point here because I believe the FCC has created more rules around video games and disability. This was a reason behind Fallout 76 not having any text based chat is that it wouldn't have complied with the FCC. It would be interesting to hear how the FCC rules apply to Pantheon. 

That is all we need, is government getting into the game design business. 

I never played it, but last I heard Fallout 76 was considered the "garbage" of the gaming industry, if VR becomes subject to that level of buracracy, count me out, I am done gaming with MMOs. 

• 46 posts
    March 25, 2019 1:38 PM PDT

EppE said:

Haven't done any researching into this, but that just doesn't sound like a good idea. I can, maybe, understand them requireing the addition of voice (although I personally think 3rd party fills the gap nicely, and frankly better than most ingame versions). However, the removal of text based chat in favor of pure voice seems like it would then create a problem for deaf gamers, ie; creating a problem for a disability group while trying to remove a problem for a disability group.

• 370 posts
    March 25, 2019 2:00 PM PDT

Here is the actual FCC rule.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/21st-century-communications-and-video-accessibility-act-cvaa

Here is a decent explanaiton.

https://igda-gasig.org/additional-information/cvaa/

Games currently in development may get waivers but length of time in development are factors. Since Pantheon is currently still in Pre-Alpha I'd have to assume they aren't going to get a ton of leeway. I would love to hear from a dev on how this is going to affect the game. If you take the rule at face value then the game would be required to have Text and Voice chat along with Color Blind modes to be compliant. 

• 124 posts
    March 27, 2019 7:23 AM PDT

I personally do not like in-game voice chats, simply because the people who are pro to it, expect me to use it and are seemingly unable to understand that i am a conner in that regard.

Also for MMO's, as english is not my native language, i like to read up on what has been said. This makes me more effective in a raid or group setting as i can scroll back up and soak the information in. When it comes to voice chats, you get it once. You cannot replay what was said. This combined with the numerous accents and pronunctuations of words, dialect and slang can make it very hard for a non native speaker to actually 'hear' what is being said. This is not so much the case with text chat. As you generally have time to read and reread it, and you can even quickly google some words.

So yeah, if they make a voice chat thats fine. But don't look at me weird for refusing the use it.

• 154 posts
    April 2, 2019 7:39 PM PDT

I hope there will not be any built-in voice chat. Discord is so good, that would be a waste of ressource. I would rather have VR teams to work on other things.

I am not sure if it would be worth it and worth my time, but I was thinking perhaps I will create a Discord server with rooms for every zones, so players looking for group could join and chat with others.

• 668 posts
    April 2, 2019 8:04 PM PDT
    I like to limit my voicechat where possible... unfortunately, too many burps and eating chips without push-toTalk has ruined my experience. I keep it to only close friends. Now, I don’t care what system people use, but certainly DO NOT want to hear anyone talking openly and ruin my immersion factor.
    • 184 posts
    April 3, 2019 9:35 PM PDT

This has been discussed for years on these boards, a thread I started back in 2015:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2434/voice-chat-software-voip-mumble

Has Brad (Via Reddit) on record stating Voice Chat will be built into the game... I'm fine with this as there will be many small guilds or just friends who want something easy to work with instead of setting up there own VOIP Server or relying on a 3rd party (ala Discord...)...

Rint

• 612 posts
    April 7, 2019 4:21 AM PDT

Rint said: a thread I started back in 2015 ... stating Voice Chat will be built into the game... Linked thread

Just wanted to point out that the last post in that thread was from Feb in 2017.

Now let me link you an interview in Aug of 2018: MMORPG Interview with Joppa and Aradune.

During the development cycle of a game of this sort, some decisions change and not everything they planned will eventually go into the game. Yes at one point they were very much planning to have a Voice chat built into the game. But newer information tells us that this is no longer a set in stone thing and they are now leaning more towards not having voice chat built in. Of course this does not mean they have definately said no to voice chat, but rather that it's still in discussion and at this time there has been no final decision made.

I am mearly pointing out the latest they have said on the subject so that we don't make assumptions based on things they said several years ago.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at April 7, 2019 4:21 AM PDT
    • 238 posts
    April 7, 2019 7:06 AM PDT

Personally I find voice chats to be useful when raiding, pvping, group farming... etc. However WoW implementation of an in game chat has pretty much turned me off of in game voice services forever. The couple of times that I tried to use it, I found that regardless of my settings I could never hear anyone, and vice versa. Honestly I found external voice services such as vent, discord, and scype (depending on the group context) to be a lot easier to navigate, costomize, regulate, and set up.  Sure these programs required me to spend a couple of seconds out of the game typing in  chat IP adresses, but they were far more reliable then playing the "can you hear me now" game. If the pantheon was to ever implement a voice chat system I would probably try it. It would be cool if that system was kind of like GTA 5's vocie system where my character actually looked like it was speaking.

This post was edited by Baldur at April 7, 2019 7:09 AM PDT
    • 1033 posts
    April 7, 2019 10:51 AM PDT

I don't mind them with personal friends, I don't like them for open game play and will not use them in those cirumstances. Any group or player that demands I use it goes on to the black list.