Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Group Manners - Solutions?

• 193 posts
    March 20, 2019 7:25 AM PDT

So, I was reading this thread https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10006/group-manners-what-bothers-you-most on group manners and it got me thinking. There were a few ideas for solutions that were offered, but thought I'd start a separate thread and throw in a related topic. Let's say you have a group, you've all agreed to play nice and have a set of terms that everyone is ok with. It's one of those nights where tanks are all but non-existant, your tank begins to get sneaky and starts 'bending' the rules because he/she is bored, greedy, whatever. With few tanks online (not picking on tanks, it's just usually dps are a dime a dozen and it's the tanks, healers and possibly cc that stay in short supply), yours begins to say things like "It's not hurting anything, if you don't like it I can go somewhere else." Ever had a specific class bully your group like that? What do you do? If you can't replace that class, do you give up or try a different one to see if you can still make it work?

• 2138 posts
    March 20, 2019 8:26 AM PDT

On an old game, recently like less than a month ago, there was a rogue that was LFG in a popular exping spot. A group had room soon after because one person left, invite was sent, and the rogue replied " ok so how much are you all going to pay me for my DPS?"

He still comes back from time to time, see him in chat.

Another person would say in chat "well, look at all these (uncommon but awkward to get tradeskill items),  looks like no one is buying them I guess I will just throw them away"  Then once I send a tell they would say " I suppose you want them for free?" and then reply "no way ima sell this fo free, you gotta pay for dis". This same person would also say "(lore epic thing) rotting on corpse in (zone)" and then when you came to look for corpse, he would be there and chastise you for thinking you could loot it for free and he would charge loot rights or let the corpse fade.

This person came back and asked how things were in chat and was replied to, curtly by others. Haven't seen them since new expansion opened.

I guess just ignore. I had him on and off, partly because I wanted to know if he did this all the time- and he did, then he poofed. I woud feel uncomfortable, but I would have to take myself out of the group and say thanks, but Gotta go. 

I think this ties in with the NBG argument- which I underdtand only to this point. If its an upgrade for me, then I let the group random on my old thing, provided I dont have bags of "old things" to put up as a red herring so i can keep my uber item with inspect off, and roll on the drop, and give the red herrings out of my bags for NBG rolls. TBH I was happy with the upgraded person keeping his old stuff. I need the bank space and stuff never sells- because the main point fo the game is NOT to sell to other players. Why waste time in a game?, play the stock market instead. Like jacking the price of Krono just untill another TLP server opens, so you can get krono cheap on the TLP and one-way character transfer over to the server where krono sells for millons- and people buy it. *shrug*

• 1033 posts
    March 20, 2019 8:45 AM PDT

Yes, I have ran into those types who think they are the "required" class and so everyone must have them and tolerate their attitude. It never worked for my friends and I and it was one of the things I loved about EQ and emergent play. You didn't need a specific class to accomplish something. That is not saying that classes were hybrids and could all do things equally, rather you could through clever use of spells, abilities and group make up provide a different solution to achieve a similar result.

So, these "bullies" as you say when tried to do this with my guild and friends ended up getting black listed (reputation mattered in EQ) and kicked from the group. We didn't need them. We would come up with many types of solutions (using root/snare/stuns, pet tanking, monks, etc...) to achieve the same result and that player would then end up at the zone enterance whining about how they can't find a group because nobody wants to group with them. Most were horrible players anyway because they picked the class because they thought they could do that. 

It was quite amusing. 

• 1479 posts
    March 20, 2019 9:12 AM PDT

The only solution is education :

Either the soft way : positive reaction, generosity and friendly attitude.

Or the hard way : group exclusion, bad reputation, slaps.

• 206 posts
    March 20, 2019 12:39 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Or the hard way : slaps.

=) lovely suggestion.

• 438 posts
    March 20, 2019 3:55 PM PDT

I think reputation is going to discourage most players from being tools personally. I've been hit with a bad rep before and it took time to fix bridges i semi burned. group exclusion is a shitty feeling

• 521 posts
    March 20, 2019 9:01 PM PDT

There are 3 solutions when dealing with Individuals of conflict. Leave a party that wants to dictate your playstyle or other nonsense, Kick a player who is disruptive to the group, and ignore players who offended or irritate you.

Its that simple, just move on.

• 81 posts
    March 24, 2019 4:12 AM PDT

Mordecai said:

I think reputation is going to discourage most players from being tools personally. I've been hit with a bad rep before and it took time to fix bridges i semi burned. group exclusion is a shitty feeling

Love that you admit that. This is a good example of how great this community is!

• 801 posts
    March 24, 2019 5:45 PM PDT

I have a better solution, want to be a dork in the game go play with someone else, ill skip past that individual and find someone else and then add them to the LFG list then chat ooc OK invite sent LOL

It ticks them off even more, they log out.

Then again i never needed someone elses help, i would rather start up 5 computers and box them if i had too. No way would i invite someone asking for payment, for what?

This post was edited by Crazzie at March 24, 2019 5:46 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    March 25, 2019 1:42 AM PDT

Percipiens said:

So, I was reading this thread https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10006/group-manners-what-bothers-you-most on group manners and it got me thinking. There were a few ideas for solutions that were offered, but thought I'd start a separate thread and throw in a related topic. Let's say you have a group, you've all agreed to play nice and have a set of terms that everyone is ok with. It's one of those nights where tanks are all but non-existant, your tank begins to get sneaky and starts 'bending' the rules because he/she is bored, greedy, whatever. With few tanks online (not picking on tanks, it's just usually dps are a dime a dozen and it's the tanks, healers and possibly cc that stay in short supply), yours begins to say things like "It's not hurting anything, if you don't like it I can go somewhere else." Ever had a specific class bully your group like that? What do you do? If you can't replace that class, do you give up or try a different one to see if you can still make it work?

Normally I consider it irresponsible to ponder on hypotheticals, but as a veteran MMORPG player this has happened to me a lot.

I always remind players to abide by the rules when they start to push it, and then I vote to kick (or simply kick). It actually does not help anyone to remain silent; you WILL lose group members. People with self-respect WILL leave the group. You will also be known thereafter as the player who can be pushed around. Do you really want to be pegged as THAT player? Less than savory players will seize on that, and players who want good clean fun will start to leave you as a group leader alone.