Forums » The Humans

Giving Humans ALL the class options is wrong.

• 2 posts
    March 8, 2019 3:59 PM PST

Yes they can usually fill a LOT of the classes in MMOs and more than the other races offered, but ... letting them do it ALL is really silly imo.  The game is centered around groups and specific roles and they just hand everything to humans?  Major flaw imo ...

This post was edited by Sapper524 at March 8, 2019 3:59 PM PST
    • 2298 posts
    March 8, 2019 4:55 PM PST

It's likely due to human being the most played race in just about any MMO/RPG, the one race that everyone can relate to/identify with. It ensures there is at least one race that can appeal to pretty much anyone while not locking them out from any particular class. 

• 64 posts
    March 8, 2019 6:09 PM PST

I don't know why people would play a Human in a fantasy game. 

• 745 posts
    March 13, 2019 3:59 PM PDT

You have to keep in mind that everyone playing this game is in fact human (though I have my doubts sometimes).  So from the most baseline of RP standpoints, you have to give people the ability to directly transport themselves into game, or at least a re-imagining of the human they would like to be (or play).  The in game response to this tends to be that humans are the most broadly attributed race, generally the worst choice for pure min/maxers.

I don't think its a bad thing, and I certainly don't think it's "just wrong".  I can see how you might disagree, especially if you're one who has no interest in playing human, but I can't see how its objectively the wrong decision.  In other words, I can't see how this ends up having a massive impact one way or another to warrant calling it wrong.

• 163 posts
    March 26, 2019 12:59 PM PDT

Iksar said:

It's likely due to human being the most played race in just about any MMO/RPG, the one race that everyone can relate to/identify with. It ensures there is at least one race that can appeal to pretty much anyone while not locking them out from any particular class. 

I would add that, historically speaking, humans have the potential for every kind of (good and/or bad) behavior, desire, goal, motivation, etc., and they find a way to achieve their goals. So, it makes sense to me, at least, that fickle humans would branch off in every direction to pursue whatever their hearts desired.

• 45 posts
    April 19, 2019 1:20 AM PDT

Eh? It's typical even of the most group-centric games that have ever been.

• 20 posts
    May 17, 2019 12:52 AM PDT

I agree with Percipiens.  Human's have historically been adaptive and resilient.  Human's being able to fill all of the classes is right on point.

• 400 posts
    May 17, 2019 6:48 AM PDT

Agreed. It's one of their racial bonuses.