Forums » The Bard

Available at Launch (Bard)

• 4463 posts
    March 16, 2020 12:35 PM PDT

Here is the latest update: https://youtu.be/zPwVSDpxcAw

• 801 posts
    March 16, 2020 3:43 PM PDT

Baz you sweet oracle of all things Pantheon, thanks for gathering all the bard goodness into one package.  Only thing missing was donuts, and a BazCard™️ flip.

This post was edited by Kumu at March 16, 2020 3:47 PM PDT
    • 634 posts
    March 16, 2020 8:00 PM PDT

Awesome!

Unfortunately, the trickle of info I've heard about Necro is starting to make me worry that I'll have to play one of those too.

I really will have to be strict about scheduling my sleep time :)

• 898 posts
    May 2, 2020 11:06 AM PDT

I'm losing my mind here - been following this for 5 years now.  Please reveal the Bard!!!  What are the conceptual ideas/roles?  I can't make up my mind on which class to even begin to think of getting excited about until I at least have an idea of what all of my options are.  Its like asking someone to imagine themselves driving a new car without telling them what all of the car options looks like for them to even begin to imagine.  The blue one sounds cool, and so does the silver one, I may as well not even think about either of those though in case the mystery cars are even better.

/losing-my-patience-emote

Add:  Some people had their minds made up before the classes were even revealed, and some changed their minds as classes (or more information) was revealed.  But some of us can't even get excited to that point because we need to be able to weigh all of our options.

This post was edited by Darch at May 2, 2020 11:10 AM PDT
    • 634 posts
    May 2, 2020 7:58 PM PDT

Darch said:

I can't make up my mind on which class to even begin to think of getting excited about until I at least have an idea of what all of my options are.

I thought you were going to play a tank?

Or are you an altaholic like me, but keeping it more under control?

• 898 posts
    May 3, 2020 10:43 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Darch said:

I can't make up my mind on which class to even begin to think of getting excited about until I at least have an idea of what all of my options are.

I thought you were going to play a tank?

Or are you an altaholic like me, but keeping it more under control?

I have a few caviats for my class choices which in most games are typically fulfilled by the tank roles.  I typically play a class that is highly welcome to any group.  I absolutely have to play a class that is efficient at its role (and the tanks are going to be bouncing back and forth on which is good/bad for quite some time I'm afraid).  I also have to like how my character looks (so chainmail weak to physical damage DL is out of the question and I hate how Dwarves look, while also very reluctant to play a human).  I'll likely play a support class until I get a sense of the game mechanics too.  You can learn a lot more from being able to observe how certain encounters affect different classes/roles when you aren't incredibly focused on tanking too.  With that said, I plan on using my second account as a support account to whichever tank I do make... unless a class like the Bard can fulfill my need for being able to be support while simultaneously looking cool, being great at its role and being a class that a party can hinge on when played well.  

But yes, in these forums I have had a great emphasis on the Tank role (likely Paladin - especially if they get a new race) as my primary choice but I won't know for certain until I can see all of the classes.

Add:  OPINION - To me, "looking good" equates to wearing Plate Armor (So Warrior, Cleric, Paladin and Bard) and a cool looking race (so NOT Dwarf, Skar or Gnome) - Enchanter may also fit into my caviats due to illusions.

This post was edited by Darch at May 3, 2020 10:53 AM PDT
    • 634 posts
    May 3, 2020 1:21 PM PDT

Well I wouldn't have guessed it, but that all certainly makes sense.

I don't think I'm quite as concerned with my char's look as you, but only slightly. I don't care so much early on, I'll wear whatever has the best stats while getting established. But as my char gets closer to level cap I definitely get more attached to having my armor all match and look good to me.

In my first MMO - Asheron's Call- I spent a lot of game time on finding matching suits of armor. There were only a few real 'sets' that could be had by quest, all other sets had to be put together 1 random loot drop at a time. Boy, that was slow! I also put a lot of time into leveling up alchemy and tinkering (crafting) to be able to fully 'polish' the pieces I had, both by dyeing all pieces to match and by bolstering stats. I was definitely quite proud of the final, matched suit of Celdon armor my Battle Mage had at the end of the game. While not officially plate, it was a more ornate, all solid metal that was as high in armor class.

I like your suggestion of playing a non-frontline (like tank or healer) class early on, to be able to observe game mechanics in encounters. I plan to play all four roles, but I hadn't really thought of those other classes 'tactically' that way.

I think the player is as important as the class he plays. So generally, you will be welcome in any groups I'm forming when we get in game, regardless of what class you're playing.

• 898 posts
    May 3, 2020 3:54 PM PDT

@Jothany - Right on.  AC was my first MMO as well.  I was more concerned with the pvp aspect at that time but really had no concept of what I enjoyed.  I totally agree with your statement about gear appearance not mattering as much at the start of the game as it does at the end because you tend to use late game equipment much longer, which is why in a game that will likely take several months (or years for some) to begin acquiring end game gear sets, I am VERY reluctant to choose a non-plate class (to fulfill my cool look criteria) in "hopes" that they look cool with end game armor pieces.

• 634 posts
    May 5, 2020 2:31 PM PDT

Oh my, a fellow Isparian! Did you just play full on PK on Darktide, or were  you on any of the other servers. I joined when the first expansion Dark Majesty came out, and being an NPK wuss :) I wound up choosing Solclaim which I know wasn't there when the game first opened.

• 898 posts
    May 5, 2020 8:06 PM PDT

@Jothany - I don't remember what server I played on in AC.  I was an absolute follower with no idea how to do anything and we all moved to EQ after a few months.  Then only 2 out of 6 of us continued to play EQ for many years, and we went onto WoW, then back to p99.