Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

What is a good "Group Player" and "Group Leader.&

• 413 posts
    February 25, 2019 7:46 AM PST

Hello,

Taking the away the extreams like;

• The power leveler who calulates his good time on how much XP he gets per minute. 
      • The rage quit person.
      • Cronic AFKer's..etc...

In your opinion,  What qualities makes a player a good "group player" or "group Leader'? 

This post was edited by Zevlin at February 25, 2019 7:51 AM PST
    • 438 posts
    February 25, 2019 8:37 AM PST
    A good group player is someone on task, and is playing their class to the best of their abilities. Even if learning the class with its hiccups, trying to better themselves and their group mates.
    A good group leader imo is the person who makes the best of the group composition, knows the lay of the land, and can get the group on same page to take on challenges.
    • 1785 posts
    February 25, 2019 10:13 AM PST

I would say that a good group player is someone who communicates and pays attention to what's going on - but more than that, it's someone who has a good attitude about whatever your group is doing.  Ideally, group members should be willing to relax and have fun with stuff, and when something goes wrong, rather than getting upset or casting blame, they just keep things positive.

Group leadership, to me, is about communicating.  It's about recognizing the unique strengths and abilities of everyone in the group, and making sure that the group approaches things together rather than individually.  For example, a good group leader will ask the puller to hold pulls when the healer is low on mana, without the healer having to speak up about it.  Group leaders also need to be good group members as described above as well.

• 206 posts
    February 25, 2019 12:46 PM PST

IMO a good group player is someone who is on task with their abilities like Mordecai said.

A good group leader is someone who is on it. They initiate contact with new members and are in control if someone isnt holding their weight like being afk or if they need a spot to fill, someone who is playing chess and not checkers. They need to be able to see 2 steps ahead. So if someone is not pulling their weight or is acting poorly, or even if the healer has 10 min left for example, they need to be on the look out for a replacement to minimize downtown for everyone else. Also, I agree with Nephele about knowing when others are low on mana. One more thing, if someone is not pulling their weight or aggrivating the other members, politely discuss it with them personally(a tell/whisper/private message), before tensions get too high with the other members and causes them to leave. =) Most importantly, have fun!

This post was edited by Valorous1 at February 25, 2019 12:47 PM PST
    • 413 posts
    February 26, 2019 9:40 AM PST

I agree pretty much all points.  When in a random group,

A group player should reach out and say, "this is my first time grouping in this area, anything special I need to know?"

A group leader should call out who is doing what: Tank, puller, CC, healer.

I like grouping with people who don't freak out if there is a wipe.  Normally, it some little tactical that needs to be adjusted, and can they recover rather nicely.

• 413 posts
    February 27, 2019 7:03 AM PST

I trying to sum up a group leader.

She must be a good communicator,  She must be a good analyzer, quick to lead and direct.  I good negotiator.  Have the ability to break through tensions, get people to laugh have a good time and work together.

• 206 posts
    February 27, 2019 9:00 AM PST

=)

• 3852 posts
    February 28, 2019 7:21 AM PST

I don't consider chosing content in part based on how much experience one gets per minute as extreme at all. I consider it to be ...efficient.

In a quest-based game I certainly will pick quests that give good rewards and are fast over quests that give bad rewards and are slow - once I know the game well enough to understand which is which. In a camping oriented game I see nothing "extreme" in camping goblins that I can kill in 10 seconds for 20 xp each rather than orcs that I can kill 30 seconds for 15 xp each, other things being equal.

I am authorized to say that the orcs heartily endore the preceeding statement. The goblins ...do not.

• 413 posts
    February 28, 2019 10:37 AM PST

dorotea said:

I don't consider chosing content in part based on how much experience one gets per minute as extreme at all. I consider it to be ...efficient.

In a quest-based game I certainly will pick quests that give good rewards and are fast over quests that give bad rewards and are slow - once I know the game well enough to understand which is which. In a camping oriented game I see nothing "extreme" in camping goblins that I can kill in 10 seconds for 20 xp each rather than orcs that I can kill 30 seconds for 15 xp each, other things being equal.

I am authorized to say that the orcs heartily endore the preceeding statement. The goblins ...do not.

There's nothing wrong with what your stating above.  Yes of course your hunt where the XP is good.  
    What I could have better articulated was; A player who is so wrapped up with optimal XP gain, who single goal of playing is just get to that next level no matter what.  No compromises.  They are less fun to have in a group.
    It's a mind set thing.  To me, it more fun to be in a fun group, who are entertaining.  Helping someone complete a quest, or obtain a rare resource;  or waiting 10 minutes for a guildie, is more important than optimal XP grinding.
    Can't wait to see how horizontal leveling is going to work in Pantheon.  I want to explore the world,
    But it's all about play styles right?  I like to apply the 80/20 rule, cut off the 10% on each side of the extremes.  I always felt that XP was flowing in quite nicely with a fun well gelled group.

This post was edited by Zevlin at February 28, 2019 10:38 AM PST
    • 206 posts
    February 28, 2019 11:27 AM PST

Valorous1 said:

Most importantly, have fun!

That's why I ended my statement with this comment. =)

• 438 posts
    February 28, 2019 11:48 AM PST
    Agree with both you Caine and Valorous1. I’ve always lost track of time in a group regardless of xp gain when I was thouroghly enjoying the group I was involved with. Which fortunate enough I’m still close friends with whom most live 3k miles away
    • 2138 posts
    March 1, 2019 10:17 AM PST

A good group player will talk. As soon as they are n group they will say hi, acknowledge the others and bring some of them to the chat, like "where are we going"?" or "That sounds good, I am looking for X, I heard it is there". A good group player will not be seen to be doing nothing, unless the do nothing person has mentioned why they need to do nothing, like Med, bio break, baby threw up, it looks like the dog is about to eat the baby's puke, or whatnot.

Potentially, a good group leader was previously a good group player in the same hunting/fighting area. They can lead the new PuG with knowledge of their first experience even if it is as miniscule as "this is a good spot" that's only 10 yards off the direct path to the zoneline.