Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Starting to Lose Interest

• 413 posts
    February 27, 2019 6:43 AM PST

Wow, might as well have some fun.

When the game launches and your in the right guild, with voice chat, and you play with the same people everyday, you will become close in game friends.  The anonymity of the internet will fall away.  It will be worth it.

I do agree that back in 1999 there was a magic to EQ.  Main stream was just waking up to online gaming.  It was more special then, than it is now.  

Now with the mass of thousands gaming, technology and innovation everyone is in a "LFG" queue for a quick anonymous run through a dungeon. You don't get to look at artwork of dungeon because the other players are running though it because it's a XP grind and they done this dungeon a dozens of times.  If you want to stop and look around an appreciate what the designers have done, then you lose the group because they are eating the content so fast.

This creates a bad cycle of DEV teams creating crappy content for the crappy content eaters.  Then you are sad and end up on these forums looking for hope for a better experience.

So yeah I am sick and tired of speaking about a time where there was a better experience. The new crowd of gamers don't really know what it like, and complain about the old timers.  (but we are not that old).  It like that saying "My 19 year old son should move out of the house while he knows everything".

Moving forward, Pantheon will be closer to the experience of what real mmo adventure was.  No more of this completing a multi-level dungeons in 17 minutes and calling it fun.  Some will learn that Pantheon is awesome.  Some will be angry over the lack of instant gratification and will try to change the game.  And that's ok, cause that element will always be there.  We only have to convert a few million.

This post was edited by Zevlin at February 27, 2019 6:54 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    March 4, 2019 11:18 AM PST

People are what they are...you can encourage them, be a rolemodel...but the old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" 

Gaming and gaming styles have changed a lot over the past two decades.    Here's another saying for you:    "I can't change others, but I can change myself". 

Accept..or don't ..come up with the times or don't.   The world and the things we do..the things around us...don't remain static,  they change, evolve for better or for worse. :)    I'm an old school gamer..probably one of the few first "gamer girls".    I have learned to adapt.   Still going strong, making gaming friends at 65 years old.  :)

Cana

• 413 posts
    March 4, 2019 11:30 AM PST

That's great to hear.  I have a couple friends that play MMO who are in there 60s as well.  Hopefully we get a chance to play together in Pantheon.  

• 12 posts
    March 4, 2019 5:14 PM PST

Many others have already made great points, and it sounds like you are already following some sage advice.  I just don't want to make assumptuions or judge the community based on a small fraction of it.  Not only do I think the majority of people don't post, I think the majority of what will form the community of Pantheon haven't pledged or even visited the forums yet.  I know a lot of my old guild mates aren't interested in pledging or posting and wont seriously look at a game until it hits beta.

• 3852 posts
    March 5, 2019 7:48 AM PST

I wish I was still in the 60s.

Yes some of the original computer gamers are still going, both male and female (spouse and I were both there at the beginning and are still active in games today).

• 668 posts
    March 6, 2019 10:57 PM PST

Take it from someone who unplugged for many months, sometimes it is MUCH needed to get a reset.  I have come back refreshed, got some things in life in order, ready to dive back in slowly.  If you have a true desire for a game like this, you will not completely fade away.  Take a break...