Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Group manners. What bothers you most?

• 768 posts
    January 22, 2019 10:17 PM PST

Something that ruins my relaxed game experience when players use toxic language, start cursing or begin shouting (this includes holding down the '!!!' key).

I'm chosing to play a game in order to relax and unwind. That doesn't mean I can't be focused or be productive. If I want to experience players cursing or spitting out whatever language, I'll put on the tv. 

If you can't hold your temper in a game, perhaps try to ventilate your frustrations not through a microphone in game or keyboard. But get a squishy toy or start chewing things or go for a run.

The next time I'll team up with that player, I will immediately have a different game experience and I would be having a less relaxing experience. I would be waiting for them to explode as they did before.

Over time, I'll avoid those players as a whole. 

Aside of that, like with most people's reply, lootwhores or ninja afk's. If you can't commit to x-amount of time playing the game, state so at the beginning and steps can be taken to mitigate it. 

Players who can't play their class, becomes a point of annoyance. But this would only if I knew the classes myself. I won't begin to count the amount of times that I asked tanks to turn mobs so that scouts don't have to run between more adds and the mob in order to get some backstabs in. Or asking players to debuff the mob prior to hitting their biggest nukes. This would annoy me to the point of, 'oh well, each their own.' But I would not rely on those players for when things real and at times when the 'i's needed dotting. So it's fine casual, but not as much in other contexts. If they persist this playstyle in raidcontent for example, it really gets annoying. Still not a dealbreaker, like the toxic behaviour.

I get that everyone can have a different playstyles when playing a certain class. Just don't expect me to run through frontal aoe's to reach the mobs back and risk death, or to keep reviving players when they land their nukes on the mob prior to the situation being stabilized by a CC pul or a tank pinning down their targets. Gives those guys a break please.

This post was edited by Barin999 at January 22, 2019 10:17 PM PST
    • 1120 posts
    January 23, 2019 2:15 PM PST

Nephretiti said:

Porygon said:

People unwilling to take advice on how to play their class.

But also, people that insist that because you don't play the same way as they do (when they play your class), you are doing it wrong.

I have had experiences where:

The healer said "either the enchanter stops pulling or I am outta here.  Enchanters dont pull."

Some groupmate says "Why is your CHA so high?  You should be maxing on INT.  THAT is why your DPS isnt as high as the wizards."

Someone says "Why do we even have an Enchanter?  No one mezzes anything anymore - we should just burn everything down.  If we get rid of the Enchanter we can replace them with someone with some REAL DPS."

Those people all sound like idiots lol.

• 65 posts
    January 28, 2019 11:49 PM PST

I don't mind helpful suggestions if done in a construtive, non confrontational way. But if things are going smoothly, and the tank is insisting that my enchanter never use root, I'm going to get angry.  This happened in a PUG in Sebellis on p1999 years ago. I warned the guy that I would simply replace him with a charmed frog and he eventually stopped harrassing me about it.  

This post was edited by phil85 at January 28, 2019 11:50 PM PST
    • 31 posts
    February 2, 2019 1:11 PM PST

My biggest peeve with groups is looting while there is still killing to be done. Just wait for the pulls to be done. Make sure the Tank knows to take a breather so people can loot. Usually run into this with PUGs more than guild runs.

• 4 posts
    February 2, 2019 5:37 PM PST
    Reading this thread took me back....way back!! The last time I've honestly played any game socially, was 2008, the year the guild I was in for years finally disbanded in EQ2. Up until then I was always in a guild (my only games were EQ, and EQ2), had a long list of /friends, and was in tune with the "heartbeat" if the community . Since then I have only soloed. 3 max level characters in WOW, 3 in Neverwinter, and DoS2.

Reading this thread reminded me of how awesome it felt to find that perfect group, the satisfaction of adding someone to your friends list because they were just 'cool'. Majority of my later days were all guild and friend groups but you meet those people at some point in time via a pick up group.......man, I really hope I can recapture some of that magic in this game. /e crosses his fingers

My negative memories include loot whores, people not talking at all, people ninja afk, and leaving group without warning......all mentioned previously!!! Happy Hunting fellow gamers!
    • 28 posts
    March 17, 2019 11:26 AM PDT

1. People who feel then need to message me about how multiboxing is cheating, and won't shut up about it.  Why do you feel the need to message someone and act like an ****** because someone plays the game differently than you?

2. People who loot all the corpses while I'm meditating, and after being warned by group leader to stop. I can't see this game not having loot splitting like eq lacked, but I'm always surprised by the number of greedy bitches out there.

Mal

• 9 posts
    March 17, 2019 10:10 PM PDT

These are all good.  However, I am gonna play Devil's Advocate for a minute.  The worst tank I have ever seen was in EQ2.  He was equipped with the best gear I'd ever seen.  He never used taunts because he thought that the dps produced by your average non-raider would be enough to get by.  In short, he was delusional.  He thought that everything could die without taunting at all.  I have a problem with group members in a pug that have no idea what reasonable expectations are.  He caused me as the healer to take excessive aggro, because he honestly didn't realize there was a difference in the dps from his raid -equipped guildmates and the rest of us in the group that were just trying to run the dungeon we grouped for.  You want to know what incompetence is?  This is incompetence.  Learn to play your class and don't depend on others to carry you just because you don't know how to properly perform your job.  This goes from the top down.  This guy was a top-end raider, and the most incompetent player I have ever met in any game in my life.   

This post was edited by Keadil at March 17, 2019 10:13 PM PDT
    • 690 posts
    March 18, 2019 6:25 AM PDT
    My biggest problem is elite players who try to push their crap on others. Hence my problem with raids since they tend to push good players to be that way.
    • 209 posts
    March 18, 2019 9:03 AM PDT

Zyellinia said:

The ones I hate the most are the ones that roll DPS then insist on commenting on how the tank/healer are playing in a negative fashion.  If you don't have the balls to do the hard jobs yourself then leave the guys who do alone.  I'm not talking about making suggestions for groups to pull/skip or gearing and the like from someone on an alt giving friendly advice, I mean the "oh god why so slow", "learn to tank/heal", and that sort of garbage.  Also DerPS that intentionally pull without me asking them to when I'm tanking.

Yep, this is exactly what I was going to say.

• 521 posts
    March 20, 2019 4:43 AM PDT

Porygon said:

People unwilling to take advice on how to play their class.

Oddly enough, the other side of this coin is what annoys me the most. If I didn't ask for the advice,(usually from some random in a PUG) then it’s not welcomed.

• 793 posts
    March 20, 2019 4:55 AM PDT

The people that want me to treat the game like a job rather than entertainment.

• 668 posts
    March 20, 2019 7:01 AM PDT

There is a lot that annoys me when grouping, hence why I select my friends carefully as I journey thru the game.

Number one thing I look for is someone to be respectful.  Funny how this one trait tends to take care of many issues.

The don’t on my list:

1. Run ahead and speed up play when clearly not everyone in the group is ready or set.

2. Play while you are clearly distracted by something else.  Play decently, at least be willing to try

3. Don’t be in it for yourself at all times

4. Have a fun personality and don’t showcase your jerk skills...  I like playful people who play their class well

5. Don’t openly put someone down, be someone who can lead or help

• 28 posts
    March 20, 2019 8:30 AM PDT
    I think it's the group leaders responsibility to find replacements. You should try and inform the group how long you will be on for though.
    This whole situation was what spurred me to start boxing. I loved playing my enchanter, but my playtime is erratic and hated leaving groups in the lurch.

What pissed me off was the Shaman looting all the corpses while I was wedding. Group leader kept telling him to stop. He just kept doing it, so had to leave. Nice group leader, but I won't group with greedy people. That was a long time ago, but I still remember it.
    • 42 posts
    March 22, 2019 9:57 AM PDT

What bothers me the most is people who you never grouped with or people coming into your group assuming 

IE  I join a group and they expect me to know imediatly how they run their group and my job

2nd IE  a person joins our group and imediatly demands the group dynamics be his way.  UMMMM  sorry no you joined us we run it the way we were, unless of course this is some new revoloutionary way to do something. Then of course we will listen and try it out at least. But dont come in and demand something of the group.

• 114 posts
    March 22, 2019 6:17 PM PDT

Rogues who brag about their damage and agro they end up with.  [Really? like 'duh. lol]

Loot wh*res / "I need that / this / my alt needs that".  

but most of all spending an hour + LFG and just having one of "those nights" of no luck.

• 63 posts
    March 23, 2019 2:38 AM PDT

Things like a group member leaving actually bother me the least. It's a faux pas to leave a group suddenly, but then again I usually don't know a group member's personal situation; so it isn't for me to judge, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt. And when it comes down to it, no one is actually entitled to another person's company at all. Playing with someone is a privilege, not a right, and when that person leaves, I am just grateful that they chose to play with me and I can only hope they liked me enough to come back.

What really bothers me is when a player fails to treat group members like human beings. Just because we are behind computers and cannot see each other does not make us any less deserving of basic respect. So things like insults, passive aggression, impatience, distasteful jokes and snark and so forth are right out. If a person wouldn't behave a certain way with an acquitance in public, then they shouldn't behave that way in an online group. It doesn't matter that we are online, or anonymous. At the end of the day we are all still human beings deserving of basic respect. I don't like it when players use the fact that we are online to distance themselves from the gravity and necessity of respect and basic decency.

This post was edited by AlannaTheFair at March 23, 2019 2:40 AM PDT
    • 63 posts
    March 23, 2019 2:56 AM PDT

Malleable said:

1. People who feel then need to message me about how multiboxing is cheating, and won't shut up about it.  Why do you feel the need to message someone and act like an ****** because someone plays the game differently than you?

I see either sentiment expressed a lot in WoW. It seems like you have a lot to say about the matter. What would you say to those who doubt that multi-boxing is fair?